02 03 Batali, Dior, and Dewey Walk into a Bar...: German Potatoes + A Great Week with the Big Guy 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

German Potatoes + A Great Week with the Big Guy

34
Now that everyone is healthy, we've been spending as much time as possible outdoors before things get too hot and steamy in Houston. He was born to be outside, I'm convinced. I've found some great things at Dollar Tree and Target for him to play with that are durable [and cheap]. I'll post about those later on. For now... #demcheekies.


We took a trip to the car wash [and actually braved getting him out of the car]. It was great! He loved watching the cars and trucks get their "bath" as he says. 


It was time for our shaggy dog to get groomed, so we dropped her off at Petco and walked around a bit. We saw so many *cough* fun things *cough* like snakes, hamsters, lizards, and ferrets. Corey had fun checking out all the critters. Then we came upon the fish. And my inner six year old went crazy. My parents must have bought us 8 of these guys growing up (apologies to each of those unlucky fish). I thought it would be a fun thing for Corey (okay, mostly me) to get to see one each day, so I bought the kit, the fish, and a fun little deco for the tank!

Meet Bernard the Butterfly Betta!
[check out that Spongebob shout out]


Had to get the Texans shirt for this Houstonian doggie.


These two. I find them like this all the time. Melts my heart.


I started a new book this week, and I'm in love! It's called Fish in a Tree, and it's already speaking to my heart. The foreword alone got me:


We also had Corey's 18 month doctor appointment this week, and he's growing like a weed to say the least. At least he's on charts this time [yupp... he was literally off the charts a few check ups]. He's already cutting his two year molars, and I'm dying. Poor guy is in pain. I hope they come through quickly! I did a little googling and thought I'd share the charts I found for tooth development:



click here for source


click here for source

My dad made this side dish more times than I can count when we were growing up, so for the life of me, I have no idea why I haven't ever made it for Jon. These potatoes are easy, soooo scrumptious, and really not that bad for you when you consider how much flavor they pack. This recipe makes about 4 good sized servings at around 250 calories per serving. I crave these potatoes in a way that's really kinda crazy. Just think: crispy potato + savory bacon + zippy flavor. YUM!



I do have to say that after we finished eating, I felt like crying. It's amazing how food memories can take you back to some good childhood moments. 



Cheers to the Weekend!



German Potatoes

3 tbs. EVOO
2 lbs. yellow potatoes (peel on or off - your choice), cut into just over bite-sized pieces
1 yellow onion, diced
2 tbs. bacon bits (can sub 2 strips real bacon, diced*)
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I use a lot!)
Splash red wine vinegar

In a large Dutch oven or skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and onions. Sauté until onions are tender and potatoes have begun to crisp, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pan (about 10 minutes). Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the bacon bits, parsley, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Be sure to continue to scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the yummy brown bits. Cook an additional 15-20 minutes, partially covered, stirring occasionally. Add the splash of red vinegar towards the end when the potatoes are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Cook an additional minute. Garnish with parsley. 

*If you use real bacon, subtract about half the olive oil and toss the bacon in with the onions and potatoes. 
35 36 37 38