02 03 Batali, Dior, and Dewey Walk into a Bar...: Hearty Chili 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Hearty Chili

34
Fall is here. I don't care who says it's not. It may still be in the 90's, but in my head, heart, and kitchen, fall is here! My husband is getting excited for football season (he has two fantasy football drafts this week). With football comes one of my favorite things - the watching party (aka the inside tailgate). 

One of my favorite fall and football dishes is chili. My dad would roll over in his grave if he knew I put beans in my chili, but I've adapted since he taught me how to make chili when I was a kid. I love the heartiness of an all-meat chili, but adding beans provides just enough protein with a little less calories.



Hearty Chili

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
3 garlic cloves, chopped
15-oz. can tomato sauce (plus 1 can of water)
2 tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. Kosher salt
15-oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
15-oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup masa harina (corn flour)
Cheddar, onions, tortilla chips, lime wedges for serving

Place the ground beef in a large pot and throw in the garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until browned. Add garlic; sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, water, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and salt. Stir to combine, cover, and then reduce heat to low. Add beans; stir. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mixture becomes too dry, add 1/4 cup water at a time as needed.

In a small bowl, combine masa harina and 1/2 cup water until no lumps remain. Slowly add the masa mixture to the chili, stirring to combine. Simmer an additional 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.

Serve with shredded cheddar, diced red onions, tortilla chips, and lime wedges.

Recipe adapted from the ever fabulous Pioneer Woman
35 36 37 38